The overall philosophy of Nutrition & Dietetics programme remains the provision of training in basic and applied aspect of nutritional sciences as they are relevant to the understanding of Nutrition and Dietetics, the application of such training and understanding to assessment and improvement of nutritional status of communities, nation and overall socio-economic scientific and technological development of the country. The major objective shall be to train Dieticians/Nutritionists for employment in the public and private sectors but additionally to develop their skills for self employment.
Nutrition and Dietetics programme at Imo State University is designed to:
1) Teach courses that will enable the students understand the inter relationships between agriculture, food and nutrition as well as how they relate to health.
2) Train graduates:
a) Who can assess nutritional status of individuals and communities, identity the main nutritional problem in a community, appreciate the causes and severity of malnutrition and design interventions for their solutions.
b) Formulate adequate diets for communities and other private sectors
c) Select quality and quantity foods to prevent and treat nutritional problems identified in communities;
d) Plan, implement, monitor and evaluate nutrition programme to maintain and improve the nutritional status of community.
3) Appreciate the effects of handling methods on the nutritive value of feeds thereby applying appropriate techniques to improve the quality of local foods and diets in order to meet the nutritional needs of individuals, community and population groups.
4) Enable students to have a global view of problems of malnutrition and agencies involved in solving the problems.
5) To prepare graduates who can serve as Dieticians/Nutritionists in the hospitals and other private sectors;
6) To produce graduates for post graduate studies in the same programme and in allied fields.
Candidates must possess credit passes at the Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the West African Examination Council or National Examination Council, General Certificate Examination at the Ordinary level or its equivalent in Mathematics, English Language, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at not more than two (2) sittings and acceptable pass mark at the UME conducted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
Three (3) years B.Sc programme: Candidates must have passes in two or more papers at principal level (Higher /school Certificate or equivalent passes in GCE Advanced Level) in any two of the following subjects: Biology, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, (Holders of ND, NCE, or HND in Nutrition and Dietetics, Home Economics, Food Science with at least a merit pass or NRN or First degree in relevant Biological or Physical Sciences discipline with not less than second class lower division level may be admitted into 200 levels provided such candidates have met the minimum UME requirements.